Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thing 8: Share Your Creations

The wording was a little vague in the "Thing" description, but I believe that we are to do either a slideshow, a photo montage, OR a database. So, I'll explore all three, but only actually put together one project.

Okay, maybe two...

The first one is a slide show on zoho; I selected this online tool because a coworker said, "You're gonna love it." And she was absolutely right. The formatting was very intuitive, it was easy to save and share; the only downside was that uploading photos was a little clunky from my computer (not necessarily the fault of zoho). We have a staff wiki at my library, but I think this would be a great tool for committee work & various collaboration among staff members.



The second is the database sharing option.
Using lazybase, I created a database of my movie collection, or at least all that I could remember in the five minutes I allotted myself for this purpose. I didn't love the default options for the film database "quick start", but it is all editable, so if a user isn't satisfied it can always be changed. There is also a Book Group template, which would probably be of great use to library patrons (although honestly I prefer Library Thing).

No comments: