Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rhymes with "Park Benches"

I told my sister that I had a blog, and she said, "Wow. You are now pretentious."

But I told her that it was for work, and I think I got a pass. If I ever start collecting vintage wine or pronounce the "t" in often, though, I'm sunk.

I've been only reading top shelf books lately - if novels were alcohol, the last five books I've read are literary Glenlivet. Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane, the fifth and final book in the Kenzie/Gennaro series, does not break this trend.
I picked up the first in the series in January, for two reasons: when Brian Freeman, author of Immoral, visited by library, a patron asked him about his favorite books. Mr. Freeman replied that we should all read Dennis Lehane's books, because they are impossibly good. The second reason is I saw Gone Baby Gone in the theater, and liked it quite well.
But let me tell you - not that anyone will be surprised - the books are much better. The final installment sees the two main characters Patrick and Angie reconnecting after a prolonged estrangement (see Gone Baby Gone) after a former client of Patrick's commits suicide in a particularly strange fashion. I won't go into further details re: the plot; suffice to say that the dialogue is mesmerizing, the situations occasionally brutal but always interesting, and the characters are, well, not endearing, but at least sympathetic.

Thanks, Brian Freeman.

No comments: