Friday, April 4, 2008

Thing 15: Online Games and Libraries

Second Life:

I should really remember to never ever watch anything on YouTube in the afternoon. We have a lot of patrons using the Internet at that time, and everything is soooo sloooowwwww.

So I've signed up in second life and created an avatar. However, when I went to create an account, I was asked to download special software, which, as I am sitting at my (as previously mentioned) slow work computer, I am reluctant to do. It's not a requirement so I won't worry, and instead will mention a a couple of possible applications for this service.

If you could create a fairly accurate replica of your library, it would/could be a useful application for giving virtual tours our your facility, and also highlight resources. Since much of the content we provide is now online (not the majority, but still quite a bit), it might help guide patrons to resources that are inadvertently buried in our web page.

Plus I thought the idea of using it for distance learning was great. We offer an eBay class at RPL, and it is always filled to capacity. For those Internet savvy library users out there, it would be an interesting experiment to try offering a class exclusively over the Internet.

No comments: