Thursday, April 3, 2008

Think 14: LibraryThing

I created an account for myself on LibraryThing a year or two ago, added a few books, then promptly forgot it. When I went to log on today, I find that I no long have an account - or if I do, I have no idea what email address I registered.

So I'm now katherinews (my usual boring handle of kstecher was already taken), and you can learn all about the books I like at http://www.librarything.com/catalog/katherinews And I'm sorry to say that I am now totally addicted to this online tool.

This could be a very useful tool for readers' services at my library; patrons are always interested in what the "experts" (oh, if they only knew) are reading, and this would be a good way for us to book talk our favorite titles, and potentially reach a very wide audience. My only qualm about throwing myself into this project is that I know it will end up buried on our library's fiction page, where good reader's advisory tools go to die. How can we make this info more accessible?!?!?!?!?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The nifty thing about LibraryThing is the social networking opprotunities. If we turn a patron on to our recommendations and this tool, they can add our "expert" suggestions to their "libries of interest in their profile".

Which reminds me, I am going to invite you as my LibraryThing Frinds now that I know your library name" ke