Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thing 19: Podcasts

I was most interested in the American Public Media podcasts located on the MPR website, but you needed to download special - though free - software to listen. Again, my work computer is a bit sluggish, plus we have a policy of not downloading any software to our desktops. However, before I gave up I went to Ira Glass's website, and low and behold he a link to Chicago Public Radio's podcasts of his show. So I was able, w/o downloading any software, to listen to an episode of "This American Life" from 1.16.04, which I haven't listed to since...2004. Awesome. I've also added an RSS feed for "This American Life" to my Google reader page.

As for ease of use of the directories, I was able to find the podcast I was searching for on all of the directories...except Podcast.net. And GCast looks like a pretty convenient tool, but I must admit that I haven't had the time to give it a try.

With the help of one of the reference librarians (okay, confession...he does most of the work), I've been podcasting some of the adult programs that we host at our library. When one particularly popular author visited, we digitally recorded the session and put it up on our website; so far it has gotten over 70 individual hits -
admittedly not great, but not too bad either.


No comments: