Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday at the FMM desk

I don't really mind working Sundays, which, at my library at least, makes me weird. But really, I have my morning free (we only work 1:15-5:45), I get to take a half day off later in the week, and staff members get time and a half. What's not to like?*

Anyway, we thought that the library would be very quiet today, since the weather is be-u-ti-ful, but if anything we're busier than normal. Go figure. I'm spending time between patrons alternately working on ordering large print titles and thinking about the book Candyfreak, which I re-read a few days ago. I have a notorious sweet tooth, and although that generally manifests itself into a need for baked goods (cake, bread, scones, etc.), I do love candy. So reading this book was heaven because 1) the author is really funny and sarcastic, which I like, and 2) it's about CANDY.

I went online right after reading it and ordered one of every random candy bar that the author mentioned. Or at least, I purchased one of every candy bar that is still available. No Caravelle, but still plenty of other options. I'm now waiting with bated breath for them to arrive so I can see if they're as good as I imagine. (Note: I did find a Clark bar locally, and they are definitely not as good as I remember. Not too bad, because hey, there are very few chocolate-coated foods that are without value, but there are other peanut butter-crunch bars that get higher marks.)

Now I need to find something new to read that will create the same visceral response. Maybe a cookbook...

*Unless I want to go out of town, or have company, or enjoy the first nice day in weeks...

1 comment:

BB said...

Hey Katherine,
I am proud of you for keeping up your blog--I have looked at mine recently but haven't added anything lately.

If you liked Candyfreak, have you tried reading Candy & Me : a love story by Hilary Liftin. Like you I am crazy about candy and really enjoyed that book. That little candy store in Apache Mall has some of the old fashioned candy like candy cigarettes and licorice crows--so check it out if you haven't already. Enjoy your candy eating experience! Beth