Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing 20: Libraries and Social Networks

I'm actually already a member of Facebook and MySpace, both for work purposes. First, in order to contact an specific author I wanted to invite to my library, I had to me one of his "friends"...hence the MySpace page. I joined Facebook at the prompting of my supervisor, after we both attended a Minnesota Library Association session on Library 2.0, and the value of networking sites for readers' advisory. I haven't kept my MySpace page updated, but I've actually had several old (read: haven't talked to them in at least 3 years) friends find me on both sites.

After logging on to my Facebook account, I added a new coworker to my Friends (Hi Pam!), joined the ALA Members group - because I'm curious to see what the less-censored ALA chatter is - and wrote on another friend's wall. And I think Facebook is so popular because of the privacy issues, and, frankly, it just seems to be a little more grown up than MySpace. Oh, and I didn't have problems with annoying pop-ups (see MySpace comments below).

When I went to log on to my MySpace page, I found to my dismay that there are tons of pop-ups that obscure my profile - I couldn't even see the SignOut link because it was obscured by an advertisement.

I've checked out Hennepin's page before, and it's colorful and fun and chock-full of information and cool stuff. I don't know how many teens think to check out their local library when they are playing around on MySpace, but if they do they won't be disappointed. (Oh, and I particularly liked the Denver PL's music - it changed the browsing experience significantly.)

No comments: