Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thing 18: YouTube & Other Online Video

Let me just come right out and say it: I love YouTube. I love it. I don't often spend much time browsing, which is sad, but if I want to see a clip of Will Ferrell doing his fabulous George W. Bush impersonation, or watch a scene from a musical broadcast from Lincoln Center in 1990 (and NEVER broadcast again or released on video), YouTube is there to help.

And if it can help me, think of what it can do for patrons...if only it didn't suck so much bandwidth. I did check out some of the recommended videos (sadly, I couldn't identify any MN librarians), but I did like the idea of library tours - a live-action version of a second life library experience.

I really don't see how uploading the video to my blog could have been any easier, which is funny because I was a little nervous trying it. I chose to include the song "A Weekend in the Country" from the musical A Little Night Music by Stephen Sondheim. It was the previously mentioned "Live from Lincoln Center" version, which my mother taped off of PBS in 1990, and which I watched many times during my childhood. Unfortunately, there was a sad incident involving a box of videos and an exploding watermelon, and despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to watch it for half-a-dozen years.

Until YouTube.

No comments: